A joy of my college education is that I get to take additional classes to my major that have become more and more enjoyable as I approach the end of the undergraduate journey. A seed was planted as I walked through the halls of museums and cathedrals while in Europe during the fall of 2010. I now have within me a growing passion for Art and the deep-rooted history that encompasses all of it. I am currently in an Art History course and have decided to make my Theme Journal in blog form. The blog will save me some typing because you know what they say, "An image is worth 1,000 words." The underlying theme that I have chosen to pull out of art from different time periods is deity. Deity in religious context is the ultimate goal and curiosity. Engulf yourself entirely in the artwork and somehow make your personal connection, as will I.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Prehistoric Aegean

Snake Goddess 
From Palace at Knossos
1600 B.C.E. (Greece)
 

In the Prehistoric Aegean period, temples or large monumental structures of Gods were not built, in contrast to the Mesopotamia and Egyptian times. What remains of the Prehistoric Aegean deity are rather small sculptures. 

The Snake Goddess is one of the few finds at the palace of Knossos (Crete) in Greece. It is a striking work of art made out of low-fired opaque glasslike silicate (faience). This piece of art shows the dominant Minoan features of naturalism and grace. The front portion of the figure is similar to Egyptian and Near Eastern statuary, but the costume (with its open bodice and flounced skirt) is distinctly Minoan. 

At first scholars thought this figurine to be one that represents a mortal attendant rather than one of deity. However, the exposed breasts suggests that this figurine stand in a long line of fertility images usually considered divinities. A conclusion was made that if the statuette represents a goddess, then it is yet another example of how human beings fashion their gods in their own image.   

The Knossos Goddess holds snakes in her hands and also supports a leopard-like feline on her head. This implied power over the animal world, also appropriate for a deity. As one of the Minoan divinities, she was closely associated with the snake cult. She is also called the Household Goddess due to her attribute of the snake, which is connected with welfare of the Minoan house. The snake is also a symbol of the underworld deity, so the Snake Goddess is related to chthonic aspects as well. I don't like the idea of a goddess standing for two oppositions, so as far as I'm concerned she was had nothing to do with the underworld, that was just a  misconception among the "fallen" people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment