A joy of my college education is that I get to take additional classes to my major that have become more and more enjoyable as I approach the end of the undergraduate journey. A seed was planted as I walked through the halls of museums and cathedrals while in Europe during the fall of 2010. I now have within me a growing passion for Art and the deep-rooted history that encompasses all of it. I am currently in an Art History course and have decided to make my Theme Journal in blog form. The blog will save me some typing because you know what they say, "An image is worth 1,000 words." The underlying theme that I have chosen to pull out of art from different time periods is deity. Deity in religious context is the ultimate goal and curiosity. Engulf yourself entirely in the artwork and somehow make your personal connection, as will I.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Ancient Greece

Peplos Kore
Acropolis (Athens, Greece)
530 BCE 



Unlike the Egyptian and Mesopotamia deities, the Greek gods and goddesses differed from human beings only in that they were immortal. It has been said that Greeks made their Gods into humans and their humans into Gods. Interesting how they found a relating connection between the two. I liked how they thought one could transcend into the other. 

After reading about this statue, I was drawn more to it. The sixth century BCE sculpture renders a soft female form that is much more natural than the other masculine, defined sculptures of men during the same time period. 

The woman of whom the statue was made was formally known as Peplos Kore. Recently scholars thought that she wore a "peplos"- simple, long, woolen belted garment. After careful examination of the statue, it was realized that she wears four different garments, one of which only goddesses wore. I liked the connection the Greek people made to sacred garments and their Gods, it's interesting to think if the garments had certain symbolism for them. The missing left hand of the goddess would have identified her by the attribute she held. I kind of like the missing identification because then anyone could have fit into her position. 

If there was one Goddess that I'd assume this was it would be either Hera (Juno) or Aphrodite (Venus). Hera was the wife of Zeus, the almighty God whom may have administered the purpose of the garment. Hera was also known as the goddess of marriage. The other fitting Goddess, Aphrodite was the daughter to the almighty Zeus. She was the goddess of love and beauty, of which the garments would only add to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment