A joy of my college education is that I get to take additional classes to my major that have become more and more enjoyable as I approach the end of the undergraduate journey. A seed was planted as I walked through the halls of museums and cathedrals while in Europe during the fall of 2010. I now have within me a growing passion for Art and the deep-rooted history that encompasses all of it. I am currently in an Art History course and have decided to make my Theme Journal in blog form. The blog will save me some typing because you know what they say, "An image is worth 1,000 words." The underlying theme that I have chosen to pull out of art from different time periods is deity. Deity in religious context is the ultimate goal and curiosity. Engulf yourself entirely in the artwork and somehow make your personal connection, as will I.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gothic

Chartres Cathedral 
Royal Portal (west facade)
France 1145-1155 
Chartres Cathedral

The Charte Cathedral is unique in that one tower and side is Romanesque while the other is Gothic. The Early Gothic west facade was all that remained of Chartres Cathedral after the fire of 1194. The distinct contrast and difference makes this a unique holy space. 

The sculptures of the Royal Portal proclaim the majesty and power of Christ. The 3 doors are united with images from Christ's life. The tympana depict, from left to right, Christ's Ascension, the Second Coming, and Jesus in the lap of the Virgin Mary. 

Mary's prominence in the Chartres facade has no parallel in the decoration of Romanesque church portals. At Chartres the designers gave her a central role in the sculpture, a positioned she maintained as the Mother of Divinity through out the Gothic period. The cult of Virgin Mary reached a high point in the Gothic Age. As the mother of Christ, she stood compassionately between the Last Judge and the horrors of Hell, interceding for all her faithful. With focus on Christ, his divine deity as the Son of God was exemplified. Chartres is just one of the many architectural wonders that represent the worship to Almighty God.  

Royal Portal (west facade)

No comments:

Post a Comment